After Hours Care
Are we closed? Do you feel like you need a doctor?
- For ON-Campus medical emergencies, dial ext. 6000 (713-348-6000)
- For OFF-campus medical emergencies, dial 911 or proceed to the nearest hospital emergency room
An excellent set of self-care flowcharts is available at Familydoctor.org; provided by the American Academy of Family Practice. (Once there, direct your browser to the tab marked "Self-care"). These charts are categorized by symptoms and will help you identify what is wrong and what to do about it. Many times the answers to your medical problem can be found here.
Are we full with no available appointments?
The most common reason students seek health care is for "colds" (viral upper respiratory infections). During certain times of the year, the demand for appointments greatly exceeds the availability. Given that there is no cure for the common cold we ask that students consider self-treatment for these types of illnesses. Additionally, we have free cold self-care kits, which students can obtain by request.
Nurse line information is provided for your information and the providers are not affiliated with Rice University.
- Memorial Hermann Nurse Line: 713-338-7979 or 1-855-577-7979 (24 hours/7 days a week)
- Telephone Triage 24 hour Line: 1-800-556-1555 (provided by Aetna Student Health Insurance - can ONLY BE USED BY AETNA STUDENT HEALTH INSURED STUDENTS)
- International Student Insurance Nurse Line - Wellfleet - 1-800-634-7629
- Call your own healthcare insurance nurse line - check your insurance card or call member services.
- Seek health care off-campus If you decide to seek off-campus health care, there are many options in the area. NOTE: It is the responsibility of the student to understand the details of their particular health insurance policy (e.g., costs, limitations, etc.) Don't forget to bring your student ID and health insurance card with you.
Need an Emergency Room, Urgent Care,Pharmacy or Community Clinic?
Please view our list of area resources to find a provider. Please note, the listed clinics, pharmacies and hospitals have no contractual, or any other type of, relationship with Rice University or the physicians at Student Health Services.